Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Special Outing, part 2

Alright, I'm rested after taking a quick nap and ready to continue my visit to the National Air and Space Museum!

I'm standing here in front of the Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird. This is the world's fastest jet! It was retired in the late 1990s and each cost over $30M to manufacture. Looks like I'll need a raise in my allowance to have one of these.


While in operation, the exterior of the plane could reach 600 degrees Fahrenheit. You could definitely cook salmon on it! Mmm... salmon...


Some parts of the plane have corrugated paneling to allow for heat expansion.


The Blackbird could fly at speeds over 3 times the speed of sound!


I wonder if Miss Feathers has flown anything like this in her piloting career?


Okay, let's keep on going. There are still lots of other things to see in this museum. Here is a Coast Guard helicopter.


This is a helicopter from the International Atomic Energy Agency.


Look, it's a Boeing aircraft!


This aircraft is really cute, don't you think? It reminds me of a Mini Cooper.


Wow! This turbine engine is huge!


I wonder what the "H" on this aircraft stands for? Honey, perhaps?


Now this is interesting. This is a flying platform prototype developed for military purposes, but it seems like it never really took off.. heh heh...


Here is a Concorde jet. It took this plane about 3.5 hours to fly from New York to London.


This museum features the new and the old...


This is a beary cute aircraft! It is called the Airphibian because it is a plane... then the front part detaches into a car!


Here is a very triangle-like aircraft.


And here is... woah. This is the Red Bull Stratos Capsule that Felix Baumgartner jumped out of at 127,852 feet.


That sounds... a little crazy, doesn't it? But such is the heart of an adventurer, to seek and to dare!


Alright, I'm exhausted from walking around in this huge museum. I'm really disappointed I didn't get to see the space shuttle. Maybe that was just a temporary exhibit? I think it's time to go home now...



5 comments:

  1. Awesome post Ajdin. I didn't know Ms. Feathers was a pilot. Seems like she would be a good candidate for stuffy spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a beary good pilot from what I've heard. I'm not surprised!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Ajdin for such a super tour. I have learned a lot about airplanes and they are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get to see a space shuttle at some point!

    ReplyDelete