Thursday, October 1, 2015

Stuffie School

Hey everyone, I found out what the backpack was for!  Today is my first day at Stuffie School.  There are some crayons and a notebook in this classroom.  I am beary excited and I can't wait to see who my teacher is...


...it's Uncle Tibbs!

"Hi Ajdin," he said.  "When you are at Stuffie School, you can call me Mr. Tibbs.  And yes, I am your teacher this year."  He looked beary intellectual with those glasses on.


"Alright, let's get to it, shall we?" said Mr. Tibbs.  "Today we are going to learn about the Pythagorean Theorem.  It states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, and it can be written as a² + b² = c²."


I raised my paw.

"Yes Ajdin?"

"Mr. Tibbs, I am confused," I said.  "I am not sure how this would be useful in a practical situation.  Can you give an example please?"


"Why certainly," said Mr. Tibbs.  "Let's pretend you are fishing here by the edge of a riverbank.  And you have a fishing pole."  He drew a picture.

"What type of fish have I caught?" I asked.

"Umm, salmon I guess," he answered.

"What type of salmon?" I asked.  "Pink salmon or sockeye salmon?"


"That's not important right now," said Mr. Tibbs.  "From the picture, wouldn't you say that it kind of looks like a right triangle?"

"Hmm...yes, yes it does," I said.

"Then perhaps using the Pythagorean Theorem, if you know what a and b are, you can solve for side c, or the length of the fishing pole," he said.  "Plug in 3 feet for a, and 4 feet for b and see what you get.  And remember to show your work."

After some scribbling, I finally came up with the answer.

"The fishing pole, or c, is 5 feet," I said.


"Yes, beary good!" said Mr. Tibbs.  "I can see you are beary good at math, Ajdin, especially when salmon is involved."

I can't wait to see what else I will learn at Stuffie School this year!


9 comments:

  1. Math is beary important in cooking (at least Ben says so). Looks like you did a great job during your first day at school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Math is beary important in cooking, Ben! But you can always add more honey and salmon.. it won't hurt the recipe

      Delete
  2. Looks like you are learning some practical lessons (what, no homework?)

    It seems to me that Uncle Tibbs should perhaps look at getting a new pair of glasses, perhaps he should talk to his school's insurance company about an eye doctor appointment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh... maybe he forgot to assign me homework...

      I think Uncle Tibbs looks nerdy with those glasses on.

      Delete
  3. Good job Ajdin! Glad to see Uncle... er... Mr. Tibbs is making the math "paws-on" with real life examples. That formula is also good in construction for figuring out if your garden box corners are square...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is very advanced math, Ajdin. Make sure Mr. Tibbs teaches you about the number pi (3.14159)--or "pie." Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy! I don't understand that! You are so smart!

    ReplyDelete