Thursday, September 4, 2014

Ooogie's wish

I noticed that Ooogie had been especially quiet lately.

"Ooogie, what's wrong?" I asked.  "Is everything alright?"

"Aaaaaaaajdin," Ooogie said.  "I wiiiiish I coooulddddd goooo tooo theeeeeeeeeee oooooooocean."

"I'll take you there," I said.

"Reeeeeeeeeeeeeally?" Ooogie asked.

"Sure," I answered.  "I promise."

"Howwwwwwwwww aaaaaaabout noooooooow?" he said.

"Now?  As in right now?" I was not prepared for this.

"Yeeeeeeessssss, riiiiiiiiight noooooooow," Ooogie said.

(NOTE TO READERS: when you make a promise, you have to keep that promise, no matter what.)

"Okay Ooogie," I said.  "I am going to take you to the ocean RIGHT NOW."  I wasn't sure how I was going to get there but a promise is a promise, isn't it?  I mean, I wouldn't like it beary much if someone promised me honey or salmon and didn't give it to me.  So we headed out on our journey.

"Aaaaaaaajdin, are weeeeeeeeeee there yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?" he asked.

"No, Ooogie," I said.  "We haven't even left the house yet."

Then we got in the car.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaajdin, are weeeeeeeeeeee thereeeeeeeeeeeee yeeeeeeeeeet?" Ooogie asked.

"No, not yet," I said.  "We haven't left the parking garage yet."

Then we drove for a few hours.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaajdin, are weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thereeeeeeeeeeeeee yeeeeeeeeet?" Ooogie asked.

"No, not yet," I answered.  I munched on my chicken honey sandwich.

A few more hours passed.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaajdin, are weeeeeeeee thereeeeeeeeee yeeeeeeeet?" Ooogie asked.

"No, not yet," I said.  I had to be beary patient with Ooogie today.

Finally, we parked the car and walked across a long stretch of sand.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaajdin," Ooogie said, "areeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeee thereeeeeee yeeeeet?"

"Yes, Ooogie," I said.  "We are finally here.  THIS is the ocean."

Then, without a second to lose, Ooogie did something I had never seen him do before.  At super speed, he dashed across the sand towards the water.  I saw his green shell zip through the crashing waves.  He was FAST!!!  (I guess you should not judge anyone until you see them in their natural environment.)

I watched him swim out further and further until he was a tiny speck on the horizon.

Then... he was gone.

"OOOGIE!!!" I yelled, but my voice was drowned out by the ocean waves.  "OOOGIE COME BACK!!!"

I decided to wait for him.

While I was waiting, I bought a boogie board and tried riding some waves myself.  I realized that I am not a water bear.  I will leave the swimming up to the turtles and salmon.  There was no sign of Ooogie.

It was getting really hot so I decided to take off my shirt.  This was not a nude beach but I think they made an exception for me.  Again, still no sign of Ooogie.

The sun's rays were beary strong so I made sure to sit under the shade of a beach umbrella.  I also brought some sunglasses for UV eye protection.

I looked out into the ocean again.  This time, I saw a little green thing coming closer and closer.  It was Ooogie.

"Ooogie," I said.  "I was worried you wouldn't come back."

"Aaaaaaaajdin," Ooogie said.  "Youuuuuuuu're myyyyyyyy beeeeeeeeeest frieeeeeeeeend.  Of courrrssssseee I wouuuuuuuuuld coooooome baaaaaack."

"Okay Ooogie," I said.  "I promise to take you to the beach at least once a year, how about that?"

Ooogie smiled and put on his sunglasses.  Then we relaxed on the beach for the rest of the day.


13 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's nice to get out of the house and head to the beach. Glad you two got a chance to relax at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. Did you go to the beach this summer Little Fox?

      Delete
  2. What a fun adventure! Glad you put some sunscreen on...little bears burn easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear there are nude bear beaches in France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (What does "right now" mean to a turtle?...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ajdin, You are a super patient bear. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's beary difficult to be patient sometimes.

      Delete
  6. What a great pal you are!! I bet Oogie was beary happy to go to the beach with you. I must say, you do the bare bear look beary well - such a suave and debonaire bear is you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. the bare bear look, hehe... I guess my recent workout helped

      Delete
    3. Oh yes!!! You look cut and ripped!... Hmmm.... That is what the humans say to each other but I don't know that we stuffies should say that to each other... You look svelte and buff!

      Delete