Saturday, January 5, 2019

Cruise and Chichen Itza

Over the holiday, my mom and I went on a cruise. I have never been on a cruise before, have you? I saw some large ships in the dock where we were leaving from.


But soon, we left the safety of the harbor and went out into the great, big sea! I wonder how many salmon are swimming around right now.


For some reason, I was left in the stateroom a lot (*AHEM*) so I didn't get many pictures of the cruise ship itself. But I did tag along for one of the shore excursions. We stopped in Progreso in the Yucatan in Mexico and went to Chichen Itza.



Wow! This structure is called El Castillo. It is one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World. There is a lot of symbolism going on here. You know how there are 365 days in a year? Well, here there are 91 steps on each side of this structure.

91 x 4 sides + one step for the temple at the top = 365

How interesting!

Hey... I think I see a familiar face over there. Could it be?


Yes, it's Droopy!

"Droopy! What are the chances of meeting you here at Chichen Itza?" I said.

"I heard there is a lot of Chicken Pizza here. That's why I came," he replied.

It really is a small world, isn't it?


They used to allow visitors to climb the stairs, but not anymore.


I'm standing in the ball court. Do you see those rings in the wall behind me? Ball players had to get a 10 pound rubber ball through it using only their elbows, knees, and hips. The team captain of the winning team would be sacrificed to the Gods! It was considered an honor to be sacrificed.

And with that, I think it's time to leave...


I enjoyed the cruise and the trip to Chichen Itza!




8 comments:

  1. Great photos! How exciting that you met Droopy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was such a coincidence! Has that ever happened to you? You go on vacation somewhere and you see someone you know also visiting there?

      Delete
  2. What a nice trip you had. Please take me with you on your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly small world, isn't it? It was great to see you!

    ReplyDelete