Tuesday, February 25, 2020

CPR training

Bear Cub Scout Ajdin here! Today, I'm going to show you something beary important that could save someone's life. It's called CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and it's often used to help someone who isn't breathing in an emergency situation.

Before we get started, I've been advised by my attorney to add the following disclaimer to this post:
"This information is for entertainment purposes only. The creator of this content accepts no liability and/or responsibility for any actions and/or decisions any individual chooses to take or make based on the information offered. Readers should consult their local Red Cross for official CPR training."
Ok, now that we got the boring stuff out of the way, let's learn some CPR!


And we have a special guest today who will be helping us out - Uncle Tibbs!


I've asked Uncle Tibbs to lie down, simulating an unresponsive patient. I've already checked the scene to make sure it is safe for me to assist.

Now I'm going to tap him while I loudly shout, "ARE YOU OKAY?" This will help me make sure that he is indeed unresponsive and needs help, and is not just taking a nap.

"You've woken me up from naps before," said Uncle Tibbs.


Oh no, he doesn't appear to be breathing! Someone - that's you - call 9-1-1 right away!

In an emergency, you should always ask a specific person to call 9-1-1 due to the bystander effect.


Now I will prepare to give some chest compressions. For an adult stuffie or human, you want to locate the center of the chest.


Now, if Uncle Tibbs actually needed help, I would interlace my paws and push down on his chest at a rate of about 100-120 times per minute, for 30 chest compressions. I would also push down hard going down at least 2 inches.


"Oooh, this tickles!" he said.


For lighter stuffies, well, I guess you could try jumping on the chest as well...


After you've completed the chest compressions, follow this up with 2 rescue breaths. I'll show you how to use a CPR mask, like the one I have here.


This kit comes with a mask, some sterile gloves, and alcohol wipes.


It has a strap that goes around the head of the patient, and the whole thing goes over the nose and mouth. After tilting the head back and opening the airway, you want to give 2 rescue breaths, watching the chest rise each time.

Oh look, he is breathing again!

"Uh, thank you... for uh, rescuing me, Ajdin," said Uncle Tibbs.


We hope you and your loved ones stay safe with these tips!

Please consider signing up for a First Aid or CPR class at your local Red Cross organization.



4 comments:

  1. Very good post on a potentially lifesaving skill!

    I do think it would be hard for a stuffie your size to get the proper chest compressions on Uncle Tibbs, though :) Jumping on his chest would probably work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good job Ajdin!! You didn't cover the xiphoid process... likely because stuffies don't have one of those! Makes it easier to do the compressions. Do you get a badge for this training?

    ReplyDelete